Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Up hill

Top to bottom: Leidi, Kenia, Wilmer, Berto. These guys took me on a kid tour around Brisas. Their (new) houses, the kindergarten ("kinder," in the front room of one of the new houses), the trail where they like to play, an orange wheelbarrow. The last stop was the library.

From Copan. A little boy walking after the day's rain. Up hill.

Up hill. Probably best describes this round in Honduras. Four months in and we still don't have a building. The books (in empty corn sacks) and some of the furniture is stuffed in a back room in Cecilia's house. The rest of the furniture is in the carpenter's workshop. Some of the books got wet. Only a few of the women really get how to run the library. The teacher never comes to the school in Brisas. A lot of the bean crop has been ruined by the rain.

Whenever I ask Jose Manuel how the project is going, he always says the same thing. "Subimos." Translated, it means "we're progressing" or "we're moving forward." Literally, it means "to rise" or "to go up." And that's what this whole thing has been about. Slowy, I suppose, we are rising up. There are books. There will be a building. It will stop raining.

The rest comes after.

2 comments:

  1. Lena, I admire your perseverance. You are a strong woman. Good luck. Jp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lena,
    This is BettyAnn Heistad. I was on the study tour in July to Honduras. Are you still in Honduras? If so, what is your mailing address so that I could mail you posters? Should I send them to Tim and what is his mailing address?
    I tried your email address but it didn't work. My email is bheistad at yahoo.com

    I hope that your work is going well.

    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete