Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Museo Regional de Arqueologia Maya

So today after class I went to the Museo Regional de Arqueologia Maya. It's right in town off of Parque Central, the main square. The museum was small and kind of dated, but it was worth the trip. Plus it only cost $3. 

The artifacts are all from the nearby ruins, which I'm going to try and get to soon. 

I didn't know if it was ok to take pictures, so I only snagged a few. These stone pillars tell the story of each of the Mayan rulers of Copan. Apparently archaeologists have figured out the exact grammar of the glyphs and have learned a lot about this particular Mayan settlement from these pillars. 
Probably the coolest thing I saw was a whole skull, with a perfectly preserved set of teeth. In the teeth, in little holes, were these small pieces of jade. There was a piece of jade in almost every tooth. Most of the information was in Spanish, so I couldn't figure out if people did this while they were alive or if it was just for the dead. Either way, it was really cool. 


1 comment:

  1. Do you know what the glyphs say? Or do you have to wait until you learn Spanish to find out?

    ReplyDelete