Saturday, March 7, 2009

Around the house, pt. 1

There are always different people at the Villanuevas' house, and I never know who they are or what they're doing. Here are the regulars, who I see and (sort of) talk to everyday.

Audelina. She's 20 and takes care of the baby, Diego. She also helps with cooking and cleaning. At the house Monday thru Saturday.

Concepcion. Mid 30s. I'm not positive, but I think she lives at the house. She takes care of Diego, cooks all the meals, cleans, shops and does laundry. Every Saturday afternoon, she takes the bus and then walks home to her rural village to be with her three kids. She comes back Sunday night.

They're both really nice, but I feel really awkward around them. It's a really strange feeling to have someone cook all of your meals for you and then stand over you while you eat, waiting until your finished and then clearing your dishes. (They never eat with us). They also wash all of the dishes by hand because there isn't a dishwasher. 

It's pretty common for people with money in Honduras to have a lot of help around the house. Lisseth asked me how many people "help out" at my house. I said we used to have a cleaning lady. She asked who took care of me when I was a baby. I said my mom and dad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment